Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Salty snack craving

While my DD napped yesterday afternoon, I was in the kitchen on the hunt for some salty snacks. Potato chips were out of the question, considering they incredibly bad for you and we don't have any in our home. When I peeked into my fridge, I saw corn tortillas and the answer came to me.

Tortilla chips and Guacamole

Chips:

Corn tortillas (bought frozen or refrigirated kind)
EVOO
Chili powder

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
Cut the tortillas into triangles. Lay them out on a oiled baking sheet.
Sprinkle salt and chili powder.
Flip them and sprinkle salt and chili powder on the other side.
It looks something like this:


Put in the oven. Check after 10 minutes if its golden brown. If not, leave it in for another 5 minutes. Once perfectly golden brown (and not burnt, I burnt a batch today), take it out and let it cool. I did a few batches since I only had 1 baking sheet to fill up a big bowl of tortilla chips.


Guacamole:



2 avocados (pitted and diced)
1/2 red onion (chopped)
Cilantro (chopped)
Lime (chopped)
1 Jalapeno (chopped) *I opted this out because I didn't have them on hand + it might be too spicy for my DD*
Salt, pepper & chili powder to taste

Combined all ingredients in a bowl big enough that you can squish them all around with a wooden spoon. If you have a mortal and pestel, use that instead. I should get me one of those when I visit the Kitchen outlet store. But now, come to think of it, I do have one that I bought from Mexico! Too bad it's in storage. (Most of my kitchen gadgets are in storage because of our current living situation. Hopefully, my stuff will be rescued soon when we find our perfect new home).

My DD eventually woke up from her nap during the cooking process. By the time I was mixing up my guacamole she was a little too eager to help out and ending up eating from the bowl I mixed it in.

(Don't worry, I already transfered the guacamole to another bowl before she started licking it)

I thought I would serve myself some salsa as well. This is the brand I had in the fridge.


 
It does say medium but this stuff is HOT!

Here you go, Tortilla chips, guacamole and salsa.


FYI, I didn't eat the whole bowl. I had maybe 15 chips and half of the guacamole serving shown above. It sure hit the spot! YUM! And my DD continued asking for more guacamole. She ate them in her own little bowl with a spoon sans the chips.

What's your favorite salty snack?

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I normally go for popcorn and add some salt and vinegar seasoning when I am looking for something salty.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails