Tuesday, June 29, 2010

An ode to my hunger

Ok, so this is technically not an ode. Thanks to google, I found wikipedia's definition of an ode:

"An ode is typically a lyrical verse written in praise of, or dedicated to someone or something which captures the poet's interest or serves as an inspiration for the ode."


But I'm sticking to the title, because my hunger deserves praise and dedication right now.


Your probably got lost in my ramblings so I'll give you a little background. Last post, I mentioned that my DD was sick and guess what? Really, try to guess..............................




Come on, it's easy..........














No? You give up?










Fine, I'll spill it.....








I GOT SICK TOO!!! Imagine, the mother of the child who supposedly had 'Strep Throat' is now experiencing the same symptoms as well, who knew?


It was horrible. I can't imagine my DD got through this with all smiles and still being her silly self. It started with a chills on sunday morning. That was a super hot day and I was extremely cold, I was shaking. I thought it was just the AC in church. I kept asking people around if they felt cold as well but they were fine. Then, I told my poor hubby we got to jet. I could not take it, I was delirious and before you know it, I had a really high fever. We left my poor mom and sis at church without warning! (I hope I'm forgiven, Mother dear)


And now, since sunday night, I can't swallow without being in excruciating pain. So, I have been running on sips of herbal teas with honey. I tried having soups but I could barely finish a bowl. It hurts sooooooo much to eat. I love food, and I'm hungry for food, so this is torture for me.


And now, I'm going to indulge myself in looking back to what yummy eats I have been taking pictures of last week. 


This is my ode to my hunger in pictures



Whole wheat spaghetti in homemade tomato sauce with Mild italian sausage and zucchini



Easy peasy falafel patties with Kabsa rice ( Mom did the honors in cooking this middle-eastern rice dish) and a spinach salad with Kraft EVOO vinaigrette. 
Oh this white little dollop you see? It's yogurt tzatziki... yep, I cheated. Once I'm done this no dairy thing, this lovely container will a be regular in my fridge.



I made the felafel patties with this



I'm such a lazy cheater, I know. I bought this mix purely for when I'm too hungry and have no time to cook. So I mixed a batch with water, got a muffin pan (with a little wipe of EVOO) and filled them up with the mix.



Baked for just 15 to 20 minutes... I got dinner in a flash!



Baked salmon with honey dijon crust



with a spinach salad topped with roasted veggies (red peppers, eggplant and zucchini)



Sandwich for dinner! Chicken salad (baked chicken breast with cajun seasoning, chopped and mixed with celery, scallions and light mayo) with tomato slices on whole wheat bread.

Here's an ode to my yummy lunches last week.


Noodles stir fried with seafood mix and carrots and zucchini (it's my favourite veggie, can you tell?)



Beef, green and red pepper and onion stir fry on top of brown rice



California roll with chickpea salad



Cultures lunch: Roasted veggie panini with split pea soup



Chicken, broccoli and red pepper stir fry on top of brown rice



Spinach salad topped with red peppers and cajun seasoned chicken breast dress with balsamic vinegar


 Oh food... yummy, delicious, mouth watering, lip smacking, scrumptious food. It's literally something we can't live without! I'm surprise I was able to work two full days without having a meal. I just pray I get over this sooner than later because I don't know how much more I can take. At least, I have food available to me whenever I want with tons of options to choose from! 


With all complaining aside, I'm very lucky compared to those going hungry around the world. And we can help them get fed! Find a local church and inquire if they send donations to third world countries in need. Our church does and if you are in Toronto area you are welcome to drop by to donate can goods and pasta, or check out our service on sundays. 


Click the link for more info:
Rivers of Life International Ministries


Oh and this great website donates rice the more you play word games! Get smart and help feed the world at the same time, what a great idea.


Here's the link:
Free Rice




I'm hoping that my next post will say that I have made the best meal in the entire world and devoured it. I'm praying that by tomorrow morning, I'm able to have a banana for breakfast. Till next post! :)











No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails